View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #94
smokinghole

Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

I've got some cider in a primary right now. Started it on 11/12. Didn't think to by a hydrometer while at brew store so I don't have OG and will only be able to estimate my ABV based on the recipe I sort of followed.

Recipe as follows:
5 gal freshly pressed cider from local orchard (unpasteurized no preservative)
4lbs dark brown sugar
1.5lbs table sugar
WLP775 English Cider yeast

The orchard will do handshake type transactions on cider for unpasteurized and preservative free. Back in 2002ish PA passed the pasteurization/preservative laws. You leave them a bottle with a big enough opening for the tank nozzle and you get the stuff for $3 a gal.

While I was working at the cigar shop saturday the wife complained about the smell (didn't use yeast nutrient) and so I stuck a nato threaded gas mask filter on top of my vapor lock. No more fart smell. I was able to take blame for the fart smell the first couple days with my regular flatulence but while I was gone she figured it out. Should be racking to a secondary around thanksgiving and then bottling mid december. This is my first batch of cider I hope it doesn't taste like white wine. When I go to my secondary I will add some currently frozen cider to the mix which will start a bit more fermentation and I will attempt to crash it in the garage (cold in december) after two weeks, let it clear up and then bottle. I'll be going for slightly sweet with carbonation.