crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need some input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
It begins with the budget, Costa. Then there is the grinder. It ends with the budget.

What is the budget (and don't forget Christmas is coming)?

Actual, good worthwhile espresso means good grinder ($$$), a pricey machine ($$$) and a substantial amount of bother; nearly espresso (but satill quite good) means a passable grinder ($$-$$$) and a very modest brewer ($$) like a mokapot or an AeroPress. Excellent brewed coffee, non-pressurized, means a modest grinder ($$-$$$) and a french press ($$) or a manual dripper or manual pourover filter ($-$$).

There are many routes to coffee nirvana but they all require good quality, freshly roasted coffee, a little attention to brewing details and, if at all possible, a good conical burr grinder.
Oh no, I have 58 mm burrs that are flat and I thought I had hit nirvana.

I couldn't be happier with my Mazzer killer, I mean Macap M4 stepless and doubt I will ever buy another grinder.

No need to tell everyone how far from an expert I am, but would give serious thought to just plunking down 2 grand and getting a great grinder and an espresso machine ( I am biased to HX E61 types now) and never think about coffee eqiuipment again until someone brings up Regbarber tampers.