View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #43
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Accuracy of salt test calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Temps in Celcius but easily converted. http://www.omega.com/temperature/z/pdf/z103.pdf

Clayton, the chemistry of aqueous solutions of various salts has been a laboratory standard for a very long time. The reason for variability is results is in the test method not the chemistry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
I believe the scientific validity, but I fear there are too many variables in the common setting. Like others have stated, specific amounts of water to salt would be very helpful. And do different forms of salt make a difference?
Table salt is sodium chloride. A little iodine in it is not going to make any difference. Room temperature is 20-25 C. Not much variance there. A saturated solution is when no more solid can be dissolved. Covering the salt just a little higher with water will give you this. A totally sealed container will reach equilibrium in time. The table Bob posted shows 75.2-75.5% with NaCl.
All that said, I use my hygrometer as a baseline for seeing changes. I use the feel of the cigar to judge smokability.