View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '10-'11

Before I'm damned for being unfair, let me point out that UK is not the only team starting the season with a "problem" player on/off the roster. Aside from Josh Selby at Kansas (academics), Georgetown's freshman center Moses Ayegba will miss the first 9 games because someone who was NOT a family member bought him a ticket from Nigeria to the US years ago, before he started high school here, and well before the Hoyas recruited him. John Thompson III is not happy that the NCAA rejected his appeal, yet though he has more reason to be upset than does Calipari, this John is moving on. Also in the Big East, Villanova freshman forward JayVaughn Pinkston will not be allowed to play, at the school's discretion, until his recent problem with assault charges are resolved. And Minnesota junior guard Devoe Joseph was suspended for violation of team rules.

It should be no surprise how hard it is to predict what team will be good and which games will be important this early in the season. Even considering only the supposedly best teams, it's dollars to donuts that at least a dozen of the pre-season Top 25 will drop out of the ranks at some point this year. Hey, it ain't rocket science, since that is based upon certain immutable priciples of physics, and can be predicted to a large extent. One is better served by channelling Socrates, and admitting that you know you do not know. This all being a given, let me share with you a few of tonight's games outside the rankings which interest me:

At this moment, with 5 minutes left, Gardner-Webb holds a 6-point lead over UNC-Charlotte. If this is any indication, the 49ers might be 86ers this year.

Virginia vs. William & Mary = As with many of these games, neither team is either bad nor good. And that's what may make it fun.

Princeton vs. Rutgers = The Battle of New Jersey . . . for what it's worth.

N.C. State vs. Tennessee Tech = My interest here is based more on what the Wolfpack may have this year. Lowe managed to snag a few good recruits, and they could be a factor in the middle of the ACC . . . though I doubt if they'll reach the summit.

Xavier vs. Western Michigan = The X-men have a consistently good program, so I'm always curious about how they play.

Miami vs. Jacksonville = And here's one of those proto-typical "so-so" match-ups that can lead to a real barn-burner.

St. Joseph's vs. Western Kentucky = Any old-timer like me would like to see the Hawks flying high again, after last year's broken-wing flop. They are supposed to have a few good additions, and this will be a decent early test.

Tulsa vs. App. State = Here again, two who may both come to play.

So, there you have some of my picks. Feel free to post your own, and . . . enjoy.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote