BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beer Prices v. Wine Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
But how many Bud drinkers have ever actually educated their pallets, tried and given a real honest evaluation to well made craft beer, and consiously decided "nope, I prefer Bud?" I suspect relatively few. I think the comparison of Bud to high production wine or machine made cigars is apt. There are times when smoking a Muniemaker is fitting, as is drinking box wine. But very few educated pallets would insist that either of these are better than, say, AF Hemingways or a Fontodi Colli della Toscana. (Or a Famous Nic 3 or a Columbus Crest Cab, both of which are really a nice values and not a great deal more than the Muniemaker/box wine examples.)

My opinion is not that the Bud lovers really love Bud so much, it's that they don't know any better. In many ways it's no different than the "reverse snobbery" that occurs in the wine community or the cigar community.

I'm an unashamed bud drinker who also appreciates really "good" beer as well. I regularly drink Bells, Goose Island, Founders, Dogfishhead, Guinness, etc. My "regular" beer is Sam Adams (I know its not a craft beer, but its a good mass production beer). For my birthday next week, my wife is taking me to a stout tasting at a local Irish pub because she knows how much I enjoy them. And I always have a few buds on hand. Its partly because I grew up watching my dad and uncles drink it and I have a soft spot for it. But I also find it refreshing from time to time. Its crisp, clean, reliable and affordable. I'm about to throw some steaks on the grill for dinner and this thread has made me thirsty for one. So I'm going to drink it. And I'm going to enjoy it. It won't be legendary, it won't be complex, but it will be satisfying, which is all I'm looking for on this one. So to all you haters.