View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Toasting the foot: is it really necessary?

Opinions vary. I smoke outside so have to deal with the breeze when lighting, thus use a torch. I toast when I can, but sometimes I have to get the flame up close and personal to get it lit. Either way, I don't notice any difference as long as it's evenly lit and fully burning (like Rick, I blow gently on the end to make sure the whole foot is lit).

It's funny the opinions that people have about lighting a cigar. I get FSS posts in my Facebook and once there was a picture of a guy lighting a box-pressed cigar. He had a torch right up to the foot and there was flame all around it. Some of the comments from people were ridiculous. Many were in the vein of "Well that cigar is completely ruined!" It was Churchill sized, I think a little purge after it was lit and it would be just fine. My favorite exchange was someone said "Might as well throw it out and grab a new one" to which someone responded "Do it anyway, it's box-pressed so no loss." The cigar was a Padron 1926.