View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do you "age" your coffee?

As espresso brewing accentuates the good (and the not-good) character in any bean, blend or roast so, too, does it accentuate post-roast bean development called resting and subsequent staling. While I find the effect of resting less pronounced in drip, press or vac, it is certainly there. With espresso blends, however, the difference between a day or two (or five or seven, maybe) of rest can be very dramtic - the difference between grassy-green tasting and sweet-rich. This isn't some "maybe" thingie - it is profound and couldn't be missed by anyone with a tongue.

I can't say I ever had any espresso blend get better after more than about 7-10 days post roast; often they hang great for another week or so after they peak then slide, slowly into staleness I suppose. Can't say for sure 'cause I find the peak around 10-days with espresso so I plan my roast quantity and schedule around that. I don't roast a month ahead and I don't expend effort to figure out what combination of beans and roast profile peak longest and slowest. Know why? Because I don't have too. I just go out in the garage and roast some more whenever I want to. No telling what effort sharp commercial guys put into bean selection, roast profile and packaging to insure their stuff tastes good for as long as possible.

FWIW, whatever goes lame for espresso after "X" days still seems very good for drip. Big difference between espresso and drip "freshness".

Last edited by Mister Moo; 10-18-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote