Thread: HVAC guy rant
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: HVAC guy rant

When I built my home in 2005, I got a 15 SEER 3.5 ton Heatpump and all ductwork installed for $9,350 final price (It was bid out for $9850). The second lowest bid (I had bid it out for a 14 SEER) was $15,000. When I told 'Jimmy' That 'Sam' was going to do it for $9,850, he scoffed and said it would not be done right. What he didn't understand is that 'Sam' doesn't cheat people. He charges a fair price for his work. 'Jimmy' was miffed and said that there was no way 'Sam' could do it for $9,850!. Fast forward 6 weeks, I get a call from 'Sam', saying, "Hey, Clayton. I got a closeout deal on a 15 SEER American Standard that is $500 CHEAPER than the 14 SEER American Standard I quoted. Want me to get it?" It was a no brainer. I seen 'Jimmy' in town about 3 months later. He says, "Well, did 'Sam' do that job for $9850?" I replied that he wasn't able to do it for that. Jimmy gets all excited and says, "See, I told you it couldn't be done for $9850!"
I politely let him down by saying that 'Sam' DIDN'T do it for $9850. He did it for $9,350! THAT pissed him off.