View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: Finance - Which to pay first?

I just seen the thread so I am not able to give retroactive advice. However, paying principal only payments on a longer term loan will benefit you way more. You are smart to add extra payments to your house. Depending on your interest rate and how many years you owe, you could save potentially 6-8 months off principal off the total loan with just one extra payment. Of course, the shorter the term of the loan, as I said, the lesser the benefit. I dug us out of stupid debt in the mid to late nineties. I did stupid x 10, mostly by buying and then trading a new car. Dumbest thing I've ever done. Then in 1999, my wife was hospitalized for 8 days and we had no insurance. She got the mumps from some tyrant a client brought over during a meeting. Her air passage way closed up and she damn near died. All the money we had saved to build a house was lost paying off doctors and setting up a payment plan with hospital after draining our bank account. We were in bad shape by June 1, 1999. But, by some miracle, we still managed to build a house 1 year later simply by working our asses off. We have not had a car payment since 2004 and only owe for the house thanks to loosely following the Dave Ramsey plan. I strongly recommend listening to him and taking his advice. No more car loans for us.