Thread: Sous vide
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #772
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Sous vide

Went to pick up the lamb on Saturday, the butcher comes out with this huge package and says "I've got an 11 pounder for ya, hope that's ok." I'm thinking this must be one freaky lamb if it's leg weighs that much, get home and open it up only to find that he gave me the whole hind quarter up past the aitch bone... with the shank removed. My plan of making a bone in leg was ruined, so instead I got a crash course in braking down lamb and ended with two beautiful cuts to cook at a later date ("Premium" Steak and thick flank, according to the video I was using as a guide), as well as a pound and a half of "stew meat" (a collection of rough edges I threw in a pile that will also be delicious some day soon), and finally about 3 pounds of the boneless leg roast, which I seasoned heavily with a dry rub and cooked for 6 hours at 131*. After that was done I took it out, dried it off and gave it another thick coating of the dry rub, and baked for about 20 minutes at 450* on a wire rack.

I didn't take any pictures, but it turned out really well. If I had realized what I was going to end up with I probably would have stuffed it with some herbs and other goods, but I was elbow deep in lamb cuts and couldn't take a break to figure out what else to use, so I kept it dry rub only. Looking forward to doing something fun with some of the extra steaks