View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #46
Wanger

Default Re: Would you guys keep on the lookout for Short Story Maduros?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Honestly I think that Fuente's top shelf and limited production cigars being more easily available would help their sales. OpusX, Anejos, seasonal maduros...all their higher end stuff doesn't suffer from image, it suffers from availability. If there are more available (as long as quality remains the same) the opinion of the cigars isn't going to change as to how good they are. However, the fact that people can get them at normal prices (and not inflated super-rare prices) will be a benefit I think.

Just look at what happened with the Tatuaje T110's and the Fausto line. Pete didn't take away from the T110's rare/LE status by producing more, but instead using the same blend created a new line with different sizes. Everybody who went apesh*t over the T110's were ecstatic to learn that they would be able to get regularly produced cigars of that blend.

IMO, if regularly produced high end Fuente smokes were readily available, I'd be happy about it. But that's just my opinion

I agree that it'd be great if their high end limited stuff was more readily available. I have definitely been an Opus whore in the past, but when the taxes went WAY up here in MN, I had to go to other sticks, though I still love a #4 or PL when I can find them. However, that's not my point....

One of the reasons those sticks (Opus especially) is (if I remember correctly) that the tobacco used in them is grown in a small, limited area of the farm. The is why the limited quantities. It allows them to keep as much consistency in the tobacco as possible. Obviously, there will be some variance year to year in the characteristics of the tobacco, and the sheer amount that they harvest, which can affect the availability of the cigars after they're rolled.

In reality, though, the only ones who truly know are the Fuentes. All the rest of us can do is pull theories out of our collective @$$es. LOL