View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road
Default Franklins BBQ review

#1 in the nation and now I know why. Went with a friend and our kids yesterday. Got there at 930, the place opens at 11, and there was a line that was already 70 or so deep that ran from the door into the parking lot. Of course we brought rum and cokes, water, and chairs and set up camp. An employee came down the line asking about how much of what we wanted and told us we should be eating around 1 by where we were in line. He also said the ribs would be gone as per his tallys from the others in front of us, they weren't. People around us in line were nice and another employee came up and down the line selling beer, water, and sodas while we waited to get in. Also some ingenious person was renting chairs and umbrellas for 5$ for those who weren't prepared lol.

On to the food. By the time you get inside there is about another 15 min wait. You can either order meat by the lb 17$ for brisket. Or by how many meats you want on a plate. Typical sides were beans, slaw, or potato salad. He had 3 sauces one a vinegar bases sauce, the other a tomato based one, the last a coffee one. The meat is so good there is no need for a sauce but I tried all three. I got 1lb fatty brisket another lb of lean brisket, 2 St. Louis ribs and a link of sausage. Sausage was ho hummm. Ribs were very good some of the best I have had. But Franklins brisket is like meat crack. Perfect bark. Just the right amount of smoke. Smoke ring was right on. And it was so tender you could cut it with their plastic forks. They cut their slices thicker then any other BBQ joint I have been too. I thought for sure it wouldn't be as tender this way....boy was I wrong. Once you start eating the only thing that stops you is your belly saying to your brain stop or else you will puke. Eating this brisket is like having a meatgasam!

In conclusion, the line is insane long as is the wait but once you have eaten this brisket all others will fail in comparison. If you are in the Austin area and have a day to kill ( we went to Barton Springs swimming hole after to cool down) I say do it but plan on getting there 900 or earlier if you want to be at the front of the line under the overhang and mister system. Any later and you better bring a cooler,some chairs and sunblock because you will bake in the sun like we did lol.

Sorry no meat pix we were too busy eating lol.