View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default The Thick, Crispy Bacon Thread

Food Lion house brand can be good but you have to look close. Sometimes it's just too fatty. Sometimes it's the best thick cut bacon at the best price.

I almost always give passing marks to Plumrose Farm Thick Cut Bacon in the 20-oz (or larger) package. It invariably has more meat, less fat and no scabby pieces of "make weight" trimmings buried under the slab. When it is one special it is hard to beat. I'll buy 10-pounds and toss it in the freezer.

I am very much a raised-rib griddle non-stick pan-fried guy, medium low heat right to crispy. I have never been good at heaps of bacon in a pan - I require linear bacon to be totally comfortable. My bacon may be drained once during frying (or maybe not) but it always goes on to paper towels and is patted down to remove excess grease before serving. I admire people who can pile of mounds of bacon in a pan, cook it to their satisfaction and dump it on a plate, shiney and hot, and commence to eat.