Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Popcorn Popper Coffee Roasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
What I'm saying Rob is there is no "better" , simply what the roaster is looking for.

Does my Iroast, or a popcorn popper for that matter, do a better job if I'm looking to bring out certain attributes of a bean, say the brightness of a kenyan, than my Hottop does?

Maybe it does.

My point is you cannot compare air roasting to drum roasting and conclude one is the better than the other, because they are designed to produce different results. It's like saying grilled chicken is "better" than roasted chicken. All depends on the taste you're looking for, and personal preference.
Roasted chicken is far better then grilled chicken and smoked chicken kicks both their butts .

I will not argue the air vs drum but I will argue profile vs no profile. Drum or air when the ability to break a roast up into 3 segments of profile, drying, pre first crack, and first crack on, control over the outcome of flavor can be changed. I think a modded hot air roaster is in the same game as any roaster you can buy.

I feel like popcorn roasters are a bit like the Silvia, a huge fan base with lots of internet info but far from the ultimate answer. I do think for anyone that wants to get into roasting or to try it on a low budget there are better ways to learn without all the noise and lack of control and even the high fan speed with fast roast times keep a newb from getting the basics down and many give up before they give it a real chance and sell on ebay. I want newbs to have a fighting chance at this hobby not get discouraged by limitations of equipment, I am sure we can agree that this is a wonderful skill to possess and I don't think I will slow down the sale of popcorn poppers by having this opinion.

Last edited by germantown rob; 09-27-2009 at 02:42 PM.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote