View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #39
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

I have sleep apnea. I'm 27 and probably need to drop 30 pounds, but noting too major. My wife bugged me to get tested not long after we got married. I have been using it for almost two years now and it is going very well. The mask is not attractive, but I definitely feel better and once I got used to it, it became almost pavlovian for me - I put it on and I go out quickly. I use a hybrid mask that has nasal pillows and covers my mouth. I tend to be claustrophobic, but this doesn't give me any trouble. Also, if I position my pillow just right, I can actually sleep on my stomach with this mask, which is how I always preferred to sleep pre-apnea. This is a relatively recent discovery for me and I love it. I was doing ok sleeping on my sides, but my shoulders started to hurt.

I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who has symptoms and has not been tested to get tested, and those that have been diagnosed to find a way to make the CPAP work for you. It is an extremely serious disorder that is relatively easy to manage once you get past those couple weeks of discomfort with the mask. I bet you will even sleep better during those few weeks than you do on any night when you don't wear the mask.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote