Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #648
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Thanks for your opinions. We all have them and they are very subjective. What one likes, others may not. That is why tastings are what it takes, to truly find out what one likes.
Rainwater and 5 Year are bottom of the barrel of Madeira; regardless of the producer. I do not believe Sandeman is selling anything beyond the most basic variety.

The other Madeira that is worth of mention without being too expensive is the Rare Wine Company Historic series. They range from dry to sweet. I think there is like 5-6 different ones. They are produced by Barbeito, which I think is one of the better vintage producers. I like their dry to medium editions the best.

If you want to spend a little more without being crazy... 1977 D'Oliveira Terrantez Madeira at around $150 or 1968 Vintage are two excellent ones.

As a whole, Madeira has climbed in price similar to what 1er Cru Bordeaux has and may be out of sight in the near future. 19th century bottles for like $200 are long gone...