Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hit and Runs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0leful0ne View Post
it was on the edge of their driveway admittedly not the best spot to park, but it was there because the driveway was being pressure washed at the time (the guy who was pressure washing was not aware of the incident) beyond that, would have been parking in an intersection. the brown car is the one that i had suspected especially because it is normally not backed in. I ventured that the impact came from the right rear of that car.

Called FHP, they said they were not going to respond to a hit and run incident from yesterday. My only options were to self-report.

Looked at the car, theres some damage, some paint that looks like it could be mine, but the damage is not as severe as what was on my car so it could be improbable, however, seeing as bumper's are designed to absorb impact, it wouldnt be unlikely.

Talked to the neighbors.The car is the one their high school kids take to school, judging by the time of the incident, they claim the kids were at school at the time and could not have hit my car which seems probable.

Not really sure what to think. I might just bite the bullet on this one.
The type of cover he has on that car in the photo will not tolerate the impact to your car without residual damage.
While true they are designed to absorb impact, that is not the same as saying they do so without resulting damage. The Insurance Institute tests tons of cars annually that all fail the government minimum impact collisions and all end up with thousands of dollars of damage.
That cover is made of a somewhat giving flexible plastic. Under there, it has an "absorber" which is a styrofoam type material. That is what absorbs the impact. Beyond that is a metal reinforcement bar that is the true bumper.
While they can handle some impacts and show minimal damage, I assure you it is unlikely at all that they would have done that to you and you would not be able to readily see damage on their car as result as that is NOT what that bumper was designed to tolerate without evidence of paint and material distortion. Particularly, what often happens is that it absorbs the impact to the point the reinforcement ends up distorting the material on the outside and often protruding it.

Bottom line, if you see nothing of what I have mentioned, it is very, very unlikely it was caused by THAT car. Not to say someone else there didn't perhaps do it.

I can't believe they won't take a report, particularly when a hit and run is a felony.