Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone Ever Smoke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Smoked quite a few RPs. I did have a dye incident many years ago with an Edge maduro. It was an extremely dark stick, so much so it made me wonder how it could get that way other than being dyed. Well, fingers and lips brown. Last one of those. I think it's a BS practice. I do enjoy a Vintage 90 or 92 or Decades when the price is right. Never had the Cuban Blend maduro, though. Might want to try it in the future.
This is an interesting discussion, while RP is not the only guilty one, it seems that many RPs have hit the dyeing vats (washing machines). The RP Old World Reserve was dyed, and that was an expensive stick!

So its a little off topic, but my understanding is that cigar manufacturers dye for two reasons:
- To cover up bad or miscolored wrapper leaf / make the cigar look more presentable;
- To make a cigar look like a maduro (and even call it a maduro at times) without going through the time consuming and somewhat costly process of true Maduro fermentation.

Either way, it sounds like a bit of a cop-out to me personally. Id still try a dyed cigar - heck I liked the Partagas Black some years ago - but I dont think Id put dyed sticks on my quantity purchase list.

I guess smoke what ya like!