View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
fsjonsey
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
fsjonsey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air purifier recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
I've worked in a B&M for close to two years. The only thing that ever worked for us, and remained cost effective is a 30 year old UAS Smokeeter we bought used from a restaurant down the street. You've seen them for years hanging on the ceiling in bars. They operate on the electrostatic precipitator principle, air is positively charged with high voltage as it enters the unit, and negatively charged plates trap the particulate smoke. UAS just happens to make a small unit for home or office use, the SE20. They don't need filter changes either. All you have to do is pull the aluminum collection cell out once a month and soak it in hot water and Simple Green. Just to show how well it works, this is what our collection cell looked like the last time we cleaned it.

It's actually quite easy to find used electronic smokeaters locally, especially in states with smoking bans. Smokemaster, Honeywell, and Trion also make similar units.
I can't stress this enough. These things work. You can puff a cigar straight into the air intake while the unit is running, and nothing comes out the other end but air.
The black water in the photo is completely saturated with cigar tar. It was darker than India ink after soaking the collection cell for an hour.
Dynacom, a local company near me, sells used smokeeters:
Dynacom INC

Last edited by fsjonsey; 05-16-2012 at 02:29 AM.
fsjonsey is offline   Reply With Quote