View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
badbriar

Default Re: What's your preference?

[quote=RevSmoke;2006042]If we were to get technical, an English blend is anything without a topnote/flavoring/casing. However, it has come to mean anything with Latakia in it., and as such, Balkan blends would be English blends. Balkans have a large percentage of Oriental tobaccos in them, as well as a nice touch of Latakia. Orientals mean they are predominantly made up of Oriental tobaccos, although a touch of Burley or even Virgiinia might make it into the blend.

I would list the different genres of tobacco blends in these categories:
Latakia blends (what many would call English blends - after Latakia, there may be Virginia, Oriental, Burley, Cavendish, and even Perique in the blend)
Oriental blends (Orientals predominate, other tobaccos may be involved, no Latakia)
Burley blends (Burleys predominate other tobaccos may be involved, no Latakia)
Virginias (only Virginias and possibly a touch of Burley are used in these blends)
VaPers (Virginias & Perique, only)
Aromatics (blends that have been given an obvious flavoring to what is usually a burley predominating.

Now, I have watched a few pipe smokers in my day, and while it is not always true, I have seen a progression in many of them, some have commented that it is a way of maturing. I am not sure that is true, but I have seen the progression often enough that I believe it to be something very common, I seemed to follow it as well. Here is the progression:

Pipesters seem to always start out with aromatic, if they branch out from there, they dabble with "English" blends and maybe Orientals, they then flow into Burley/Virginias/Vapers. If you notice the trend is from tobaccos with flavors added, then to bold flavored tobaccos, and finally to tobaccos with flavors best contemplated for their subtleties - VAs for their natural sweetness, Burleys for their nutty character, and VaPers for their natural sweetness with just a touch of spice.

Todd - your progression 'timeline' just about describes my pipe experience exactly! Started with those wonderful smelling, but rather flavorless aromatics early on. Realized that they did NOT taste as they smelled and resulted in horrible tongue-bite. It's a body chemistry thing. Moved on quickly to anything but aros and soon found my niche! English, Balkan, Oriental, bold, dark and tasty. Later found *good* Virginias and added them to the list. My experience with VaPers has not been great. Tried a few C&D bulks and did not care for them. Later found that C&D is not my favorite blender, so have a few tins from GL P aging and will revisit later.

Side note is that there are some unusual exceptions to the English/Latakia class. HHOld Dark Fired is considered an English, although it contains no Lat at all. It is the steam press manner in the curing process. Go figure!

Thanks for your overview - great info for all of us pipe enthusiasts!