View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #26
magz
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
magz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb checking in...humidor suggestions requested.

Figured I would post an update. I ended up going with the 100-120 count Cheap Humidors box (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_mediu...HUM-100DC.html), and it arrived about a week ago. I searched online for coupons and came up with a 10% off coupon on all purchases from the site, so I basically negated the shipping charge. I think the out-the-door price was around $65 or so. Not bad.

From the site...

First impressions...

-It seems relatively solid. I didn't know how much of a gimmick the Sure Seal thing was, but when I drop the lid from a few inches, it seems to seal without just slamming shut, so I guess it's better than some of the other options in the <$100 price range.

-The color is about as advertised online. I wish I would have been more cognizant of the coloring because it would have been nice to get something closer in color to my bar, but whatever. Live and learn.

-It's a lot larger than I expected! I don't know how realistic 120 cigars is, but I could see the thing holding 80-100 no problem. Unfortunately I won't be able to stock it for a little while since funds are tight at the moment (switching jobs AND paying double rent next month while I move), but my first paycheck from the new gig will definitely go towards some gifts to myself from CI.

Additional notes...

-I just filled a shot glass up with distilled H20 and will start the break-in process. It came with a crappy hygrometer, but I'll pick up a digital one along with some beads after my first paycheck, maybe sooner. In the meantime I'll use the crappy analog one as a gross estimate of where I'm at after a week or so.

-I'll check it for leaks with the dollar bill and flashlight test to see how the original seal is. Hopefully everything checks out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I know it would have been more cost efficient to get a coolidor or some Tupperware containers, but once I get an idea in my head, I usually have to see it through. Once I need more space I will definitely go that route for a storage/holding area, but for now, I think (and hope) this will suit my needs and requirements.

Thanks again!
magz is offline   Reply With Quote