View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #24
Big D KC

Default Re: Need some advice on long term aging!

Got the jars last night! Went to a few more stores and found a much better deal on them this time. Found them at Price Choppers grocery store under $10 a case of 12 each! Much better!

While I was there I saw the pint sized jars which I hadn't paid attention to before and yea I can see where that is a good size for this purpose! So I split my list half and half between 1/2 pint & pint. 3 cases of each. I can see where the bulkier cuts would be better in the slightly bigger jars. I also have 9 unused quart jars I forgot I had!

I know the 1/2 pint are small, but with my smoking pace which is no more then usually 5 to 7 bowls during the week maybe one extra a day on the weekends, it can take me a while to get through 3-4oz! Hell its taking me a while to get through 2 oz in some cases! Especially when I do have various other tobaccos open to smoke from.

So I figured I would do up half of the bulk for each blend in the 1/2 pint jars and the other half in the pints. This way if I only want to crack open a couple oz's in a year or two to see how the blend is doing, I don't have to sit on twice that much to smoke through. I dunno, just seems to make sense for how I see this working out. Hell if my pace picks up then I'll just crack 2 of the 1/2 pints in 10 years!

Anyway's here is a pic of the jars. I will be getting them cleaned up ready to go over the next couple of day's sealing them with saran wrap after I am done to keep the germs & such out till the tobacco gets here! I got the boiling water bit for the jars under control, what process should be followed for de-contaminating the lids?