View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #1031
coastietech

Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
OK, I don't know what your laws are in FL, but here in OH, you have to CCW with a holster.

Secondly, have you heard the story of Plaxico Burress? What happens if you fall down? The bad guy could get your handgun if he hits you and if it falls out of the waistband.

I am not trying to come down on you, just trying to give a little advice.
I appreciate the advice... I've been carrying this way for the last 6 years. I haven't fallen down while casually walking since I was out of grade school. I do run the risk of losing the gun in a fight but you run that risk with any holster. I've carried in level 2 rententions as well as open top holsters when I open carried in VA and you have just as much risk of a "bad guy" trying to disarm you in a fight. I avoid fights at all costs and I make sure my situational awareness is being used regularly.

It is risker than carrying in a holster but having weighed the risks to the comfort of carrying everyday all day it is an acceptable risk for me. It may not be to someone else and I can understand that. I usually tell people to do what they feel comfortable with because the more comfortable you are the more apt you are to carry. If you buy a crappy holster that you hate and it's uncomfortable for you to carry eventually you will start carrying less and less until you no longer do so.