View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #828
Robulous78

Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Anyone have a link for Pipe beginners?

I youtubed how to date most of the collection... There are 2 Pre 1940 pipes in the pictures and then 2 from the 70's... the rest I still have no idea about...

I restored the 2 from the 70's with the salt & alcohol method, after some pipe cleaners they were as good as new... the wood however looked pretty dull... so I wiped them with a light wood oil, the tips are pretty oxidized but that doesn't overly bother me...

I watched a video on how to pack a pipe and got some various drug store tobaccos to try...

-Admiral's Choice Cherry Cavendish
-Borkum Riff Bourbon Mix
-Generic Apple Pipe Tabacco from Middleton Co
-Paladin Blackcherry
-Lonestar Gold Pipe Tabacco

Ok... so here in lies my question, Old Farts... I expected that the smoke would contain more flavor, kind of like when you smoke Shisha from a Hooka... but aside from a slight aroma and subtle flavor I can barely tell The Admiral's Choice from the Paladin... I am enjoying the general flavor of the Borkum Riff, but I would not say I taste bourbon in the smoke...

Am I using the wrong tobacco's or are my expectations incorrect for what pipe smoking offers? Is my noise burnt out from cigar retrohaling to "taste" the flavor of the smoke?

I find the rather troubling, because I am enjoying my first bouts into pipe smoking yet can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for... which I can only describe as a powerfully flavorful "shisha-esque" smoke...

Thanks Old Fart / Everyone...