Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
What does it mean to you, to be a "good jew"? I consider myself a good person, but i'm not sure if i'm a "good jew" because I don't follow Kashrut, I eat things that i'm not "supposed" to, etc. I'm only a 3 day a year Jew sometimes.nI am Jewish, but don't know what the qualifications for a "good jew" are. I've had a bar mitzvah, and went to hebrew school growing up, and took yeshiva track. I also think no matter what the answer is, it could be interpreted subjectively, but i'd like your opinion.

Firstly, Jews are not to judge other Jews. Only G-d Himself is to judge.

That being said, the Torah, and specifically the mystical tradition of Kabbalah/Chassidus teach that every Jew is inherently good. If you could look into our "kishkes" - insides, in our soul, you would see that we inately want to do what is right, what HaShem wants.

Even on a more external level, it is said that every Jew is filled with Mitzvahs, like a Pomegranate is filled with seeds. We are constantly doing good, fulfilling G-d's Will consciously or not.

Going to shul etc. is all good, but there are those who do so and are not fulfilling their role in G-d's greater plan. They could be better. Along with those who do very little their entire life, but at one-moment fulfill the purpose of their entire existance. It is just up to us not to wait for this but to "chap arein" - take advantage and seize the moment to strive to be better Jews.

With this in mind, we should constantly be striving to become better, self-actualized Jewish people and simultaneously helping others to attain this as well. Adding Mitzvos, observances, customs, learning more Torah, doing acts of goodness and kindness and contributing to the greater good.

When people ask me point bland "What is a good Jew?", I am wont to answer - one who is better today than yesterday or at least strives to be better.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Hatzlocha - Success in all of your endeavors!!