View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Looking to get 1st French Press, Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Im also in the market for a burr grinder, so any advice on one of those would be great. Thanks for the help, everyone!!
Different theories on the grinder thing. Some say a grinder is less important than, say, the health & welfare of your children. I say... "Good luck, kids. Hope to see you again after the Mazzer is paid off."

It's all about predicting the future of your personal coffee culture and it's all about budget.

1. If you have an unlimited budget then just get the best conical burr mill made and forget about it. This would be one of the Mazzers, Macaps, Pasquinis, etc. $400+ neighborhod.
2. If your budget is limited, get the best burr mill you can justify if you believe coffee will continue to be a part of your future. This could be any number of mills from $90-$200.
3. If your budget is limited but you're certain coffee is the well from which all life springs then you need to hunker down. Decide what you're going to do without so you can grossly overspend on a grinder. This search would begin with a Rancilio Rocky at minimum.

As a rule, the better the grinder you get, the longer it'll last and the more versatility it provides. For drip, press and mokapot a low- to middle-of-the-road conical burr mill should last for several years and do a fine job. Higher end gear grinds faster, is quieter, lasts longer, produces less dust or "fines" that end up in your cup and will address the challenge of espresso and turkish coffee brewing.

So? How much?