md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: My Gaggia took a dive

Dustin, just noticed this post.

For the grinds to shoot out of the side of the portafilter tells me that there is nothing wrong with the machine per se, but perhaps there is a problem with the portafilter. There is something preventing the water from flowing down through the filter.

I mean no disrespect to your wife, but does she know what shes doing with the machine? Perhaps she left the "blind" filter in the portafilter... this would cause the water and grinds to shoot out the side.

The only other thing I can think of is that the gaskets are worn to the point of being brittle.

The gaskets are very easy to change and are basically big rubber washers. They become brittle over time because of the constant heat and coffee eroding the rubber.

An easy way to tell if the gaskets need changing is to notice if there is any resistance when you insert the portafilter into the group head. There should be slight resistance, and you should not be able to turn the portafilter all the way to the right.

If you would like, pm me and ill give my number and I can talk either of you through what to check for over the phone.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote