View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: This "Only GRINDERS" thread is not for you if.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I guess my link went bad. I have been a drinker of the drip for a few years now but I want to do myself better then that so after reading a bit I started looking around.
http://www.thecateringchef.net/melit...-grinders.html
I found this burr grinder for around 30 bucks. My question is will it help to step my coffeeness up or inorder to taste a difference I need to spend 100+ on the grinder. Since I am starting down the road for better coffee I am also getting a Bialetti Moka Express 3-Cup Espresso Maker.
Thanks for the advice.
I think folks are leaning to Cuisinarts for best entry-level burr mills. Bodum Antigua is always a favorite, too. I have heard nothing good about the Melitta (or bad) but plenty of nice comments on the Cuisinart and Bodum.

Low end grinders make a lot of noise, are slow and produce a lot of dust and static compared to higher grade machines. Fact is, though, they work fine for drip, press and moka if you don't mind a little extra sludge. I don't. Stir/swirl and it all goes to the bottom of the cup anyhow. If you like the results think about a better machine on down the road.

As to Swampy's remarks on the Mazzer, I concur. I wish everything else in the world worked as well as a Mazzer. I use mine daily, sometimes grinding pounds/day, with only a burrset change after five years.