View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: This "Only GRINDERS" thread is not for you if.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
- although I *must* defer to Moo about the quality
Bad precedent. Nobody else does on this topic. Mostly I get socked in the eyeball because grinder discussions are where my natural azzozole'ness ALWAYS comes to the front. Hopeless.

Quote:
I have no doubt a Mazzer would take my cup to the next level if I were to augment it with a great espresso machine and months--years--of practice. No doubt at all.
I would doubt that, although I've only used a Rocky once. Rocky grinder quality is the stuff of legend and the product has a great following. The stepless Mazzer will MAYBE grind a little better than a Rocky but it will probably have a longer service life. My take: a Mazzer is a commercial machine with 64mm burrs designed to run pounds/day for years; the Rocky exhibits commercial grinding quality with 50mm burrs at lower volume output.

Somebody figures these things out but I am only educated-guessing here. Seems like there is a speed limit to burr revs before you must overheat the coffee being ground. If so, output (in the mystical measure of grams/minute of a given fineness) must be greater for a machine with larger burrs than with smaller ones. Motive force must also be higher so, bigger burrs get bigger motors - bigger motors get heavier frames, etc. etc.