captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Single Malt Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Questions. Im normally a rum guy but I thought at the ripe old age of 22 id start branching out.

Im just getting into Single Malts. I just went to Total Wine and talked to them a little and grabbed a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, and Bunnahabain 12.

I came home to find an old unopened bottle of Mcallan 12. I realize it doesnt age outide of the cask but is there a way to tell when this was bought? I also came upon a couple bottles of J&B (any good?)

Based on what i have rounded up is there anything I'm missing?
Doing a tasting with a friend of mine later this week, is there a particular order youd all recommend?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Just like Cigars - drink what you like and buy what you drink. As a scotch newbie you got some popular newbie stuff that are good quality but not usually preferred by seasoned single malt folks. Just got to try them till you find what you like best which is all that matters.

I just poured 3 fingers of Lagavulin 16 over my standard 3 small cubes of distilled water ice which is my favorite but many of my Malt friends find Lagavulin too smokey for them.

J&B is upper medium quality blended not single malt so not even in the running.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote