Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #274
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
That's a beautiful pile of pecans you have there Cliff. I can already visualize a few pies coming forth

Aunt and Uncle in Oklahoma had a pecan tree in the back yard about 8' from the picture window. Gathered many a pecan off the ground from that tree. Use to be fun watching the Cardinals and Jays trying to position themselves to snatch a pecan from the Squirrels

A 12ga works wonders on Crows you know
I know, and a 20 gauge does too. Plus I have several .22 rifles and thousands of rounds of .22. The only problem.... The trees are in the front yard, and almost any angle, I'd be shooting with the street and one or the other of my neighbor's house as a backstop! It's a real tricky placement for gun work. I'm already past any pecans this year. If I can drop one or two crows, even in the yard, I can place the dead crows in the trees, and that will deter the rest. But they are crafty little devils! I have a master bedroom window that faces the pecan trees, and slept with it open in the early fall/late summer. The crows would wake me up around 5:30 - 6 am, but would be gone by the time I got up, got dressed and got a look off the porch. I was up already one morning when they started cawing. When I peeked out the kitchen window, the damn crows had a lookout quietly sitting on the ground under the window, where it could see me coming around the bed in that window. That's how they were staying ahead of me. dammit! I was up early another morning, grabbed a seat in a small pine grove near the road that gave me a shot away from any houses or the road..... The stupid crows never got close to the pecan trees after having been there all week. Frustrating.