Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Ok, so I was only really able to hold it in the foil in the cooler for a couple of hours. (It's 1am now and just need to catch some z's before too long to give it any longer).

I pulled the meat off the bones-great color, flavor, and smoke. The only thing I didn't get was the "shredability" of the meat that I was hoping for. Is that due to just not being able to give it another 2-3 hours in the cooler? It's currently in big pieces in the fridge, so what might be the next steps I should take to try to get it shredded?
Possibly, but could be any number of things.

You said total weight on the two butts was 15.5lbs, right? They looked pretty equally sized, which would be about 7.75lb each or so, 8 hours cook time is pretty short if you were running 220F.

What was the internal temp when you pulled it off the cooker? And how did the meat feel when you jabbed it with a fork and twisted or a probe and wiggled?

Foil is kind of a controversial subject, but if you foil a butt toward the end of the cook (around 170F internal) and let it cook that way until it hits about 200F internal, then rest it, it'll practically fall apart on it's own because of the braising.

Use the fine shreds for pulled pork sandwiches with some BBQ sauce, pickles, onions and slaw, take the big chunks, chop them up a bit across the grain and use them for Bob's (chainsaw13) carnitas method about 10 posts back.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote