Old 08-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #5180
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I've been 'round and 'round and 'round again on the pellet brands and manufacture.

What I've found is that Traeger is meh. They use 70% alder and 30% of what the bag says it is. Unless it's mesquite or hickory. Then it's 100% and 0% but they use flavor oils. Alder has one of the lowest BTU/weight rating (how much heat it can produce per given weight), so in order for alder to get to and maintain temperature "X", you will need to burn more alder than other woods.

More wood burned = more ash.

A few companies use less, but most other companies use more or even 100% of what it says on the label. With most woods having a higher potential stored energy than alder,
anything all hardwood will produce less ash.

Take BBQ'er Delight or LumberJack. A hickory pellet is a hickory pellet. Hickory is about 24 million BTU/cord. Alder, ehh, around 14 million. That's like 45% more for hickory. Oak is 22M, Beech is 23M, apple is 21.5M, even cherry is 19M. Alder is 14M, even pine has more stored energy than that, in fact, when I look at the chart, nothing around alder is anything I would want to eat off of.

So, better, more honest fuel, = less needed = less ash.

Of course there is a combustion quality factor and what part of the tree the pellet was made from. Is it sawdust and bark? This means lower BTU. Or is it a whole tree shoved into a chipper? In which case it's about what you see on the chart.

Sample chart
https://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Firepot efficiency and airflow make a difference too. I strongly suspect that, based on the near identical sizes and hole patterns, my Camp Chef, Dom's old Traeger, Green Mountain Grills, Pit Boss, Char Griller, even Rec-Tec and a few others are all buying fire pots from the same factory in China.

Back to pellets.... I use LumberJack. They cut me a break on pricing when I buy a ton and split it up. I've talked to the owners, they are very open. The pellets are hardwood, what it says on the tag. Whole trees. I've gotten friends hooked on their pellets and the first comment is always "The flavor was so much better" followed by "I was burning Traeger pellets, there is so much less ash now" OR "My grill gets to over 500F now. It never could before..."

I've used BBQ'rs Delight, Cookin' Pellets, Vintners Pellets (don't think these are made anymore - they were 100% old wine grape vines - amazing flavor) and one or two other 100% hardwood pellets. Aside from the unique offering of Vintners, they were all about the same quality. Pick a brand that offers you the flavor you want. I might be buying someone else if anyone could beat Seth's pricing on 2000# (50 bag) orders.

Traeger, Camp Chef, Luv, Char-Griller, all the blended less-than-truthful box store pellets... meh. Yeah, they work, but less flavor.

Never tried or researched Memphis - so no comment.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote