View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default D.G.T. - the winter smoke

I smoke my pipe more in the winter than I do any other time of the year. Or course, a few other things have got me smoking my pipe more than cigars lately. But I thought I'd tell that a big reason is simply D.G.T.

If you never heard of it, D.G.T stands for Delayed Gratification Technique.

It is cold outside and you really don't want to fire up a Churchill because your boys would crawl up inside to your tonsils just to stay warm, and it would be weeks before Johnson would come out again. Even a petite corona seems a bit of a stretch when the mercury dips below 10 degrees Fahrenheit - and with the temps lately below 0, I thought you might like to know why I like to smoke a pipe in the winter.

The answer is D.G.T.

Smoke an inch or two of a cigar, purge it, and come back to it a day or two later. Go ahead, try it, I dare ya! You just cannot do it with a cigar. OK, some guys can, but it is pure torture. There is a bitterness and tar flavor that is just nasty, tastes more like an ashtray than the great smoke you were enjoying if you'd have nubbed it when you lit it.

D.G.T.

Now take your pipe and smoke it for 5 or 10 minutes, come back into the house and set you pipe down. You can come back to it a day, or even 4 days later (I've even done it 7 days later), gently tap out the grey ash and a bit of the char, tamp down the remainder of the tobacco to level it off, light it and wow, a great smoke.

In fact, (some will find this hard to believe) sometimes it is even better than when you were first smoking it. The first puff or two may have a bit of charred taste, but that quickly fades. I have a friend who never finishes a pipe. He might even start a second or third, putting them all down about half smoked. He wants to save them for a couple days, for he believes they taste even better as a D.G.T. than when first packed in the bowl.

That is D.G.T.

This works best with Virginias, VaPers, Orientals, and English (sic) blends. Aromatics you can do it too, but VAs and VaPers are the best.

This has been a public service announcement.

Peace of the Lord be with you.