View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #10
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Legit real Jamaica Blue Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Japan imports around 90% of all JBM coffee and Jamaica consumes less than 1% of it, which is kinda interesting.
If that is true (and I don't know that it is - just saying, if) and if annual production is the typical 6m-lb estimate

6.000.000 production
x 0.09 percent remaining for the rest of the world
540.000 left over for the rest of the world

So.... my own family sucks down a pound/week or more. That's 50lbs/year at a minimum. I suppose there are, say, MILLIONS of families like mine so we use about 50 million pounds annually for the pot in the kitchen. Try to imagine how much coffee Americans drink - then add in the Canadians, UK and all of Europe...

There is just no way to explain how every grocery store and coffee shop in America is selling JBM all year long, year in and year out. I wouldn't believe coffee sold as JBM, blend or otherwise, included beans from a certain Jamaican hillside unless I personally knew the grower. Next closest scam is Kona. With annual yield estimated from 3-6m pounds I cannot figure how it is sold by everyone, all over the world, 365-days a year.

So, back to the OP - where to get real JBM. If Uncle Beanz himself told me he went to Jamaica, saw the crop harvested and bagged, marked his bags and shipped them back to NJ.... I would believe him. Nobody else. Caveat emptor on this crap. It's too easy to take $3.00 Guatamalan beans and put 70-lbs of them in $1.00 burlap bags stenciled "JBM" suddenly have $30 beans.