Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation
Default Re: World Series who ya got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I'm rooting for the Indians. I have nothing against the cubs, but the curse of the billy goat is baseball lore. It's endured for 100+ years and I'd like to see it last a 100 more.
I'm saying this as a MLB fan not a Yankee fan, but when the Red Sox won the series, it was a bad day for baseball. The game lost something.
I'm sure Sox fans will disagree, but after winning 3 world series since 04, they're just like all the other fans. There's nothing special about being a Sox fan anymore.
The breaking of the curse will only be a footnote in the history of the game, but the curses themselves are what take on a life of their own, and live on through the generations of fans.
Think about this, right now in Boston there are teenagers who have no idea what it's like to suffer as a Sox fan. That's crazy to me.
That's a fantastic perspective. All my relatives are from Western, MA and I spent every summer up there in the early to mid 70's and suffered with them. Until I discovered who Brooks Robinson was. Growing up outside of DC, and having lost the Senators, made becoming an Orioles fan easy - and gave me twice the enmity for the Yankees!

What you say makes a lot of sense for tradition, rivalry, folklore, statistics, drama, etc etc, but --- nothing ever stays the same. Go Cubs.

Start a new curse/tradition - Big Papi's jersey really is buried somewhere under the new Yankee stadium - I'm sure of it!!!!! Those same same teenagers in Boston you speak of don't even knew who the "Bambino" was - much less he had the power to curse a whole city. For real fans, like yourself, there will always be reverence and knowledge of the game that will preserve what it means for this country.