View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #75
stoogie007

Default Re: Single Malt Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
A lot of people consider Johnnie Black to be good scotch. I think its ok. It is a blend, not a single malt. Actually under $50 there are only a few single malts available that I am aware of (assuming Michigan prices). Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 years are the most commonly available. Neither does anything for me, though plenty of others enjoy them. In the blended category, you can pick up Chivas or Dewars 12 year, both of which I find to be pretty good, with a preference for the Dewars. If you can spend $50, the single malt possibilities are much higher. Glenmorrangie makes a lot of good scotches priced right at $50. I prefer their quinta ruban. Macallan 12 year is good too. For smokier/peatier scotches, Laphroiag 10 yr and Highland Park 12 yr are right in the price range as well. Those are my thoughts. I'm sure others can chime in as well.
definitely agree re the Laphroaig 10 yr... if they ever release it outside duty free, I highly recommend the Johnnie Walker Double Black - it is about $60 for a 1 liter size in duty free