View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too Quiet Around Here... (open thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I have tried my hand at blending a few times. What I like to do is to try the new blend immediately - then revisit it as it ages and mellows together (1 wk, 2 wks, 1 month, 3 mnths, etc...). I'd also say that a week is too short a time to get full idea of how they'll marry.

Just a couple blending tips, use portions that will convert into 16 (as 16 is 1 pound), and if you like it, you may want to repeat it. Write the recipe down. To blend, put constituent tobaccos in a large bowl and get your hands in to toss the mixture well - kind of like a salad.

If you want the tobaccos to marry more quickly, when you get it mixed, put it into something which you can compress. I like to put it in a zip-lock and I have devised a way I can press it with a couple C-clamps. This get the tobaccos as close together as possible, helping them to marry. I have done a couple blends where I press some and leave a portion in a zip-lock without pressing. It is amazing the difference after 1 wk, 1 mnth, etc...

Have fun with it!

If you go to this website http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/tinned_blends.htm
in the tinned blends, look for Back Porch - it is my recipe for a blend. They also used to have a blend called Orthodoxy, but they can no longer get any Syrian Latakia (one of the constituent tobaccos), so they cannot make it.
Todd,
Some terrific advice here! Thanks. For compression, I'll just place a bag under my wife's favorite chair ! (j/k, she's petite and very health concious...but just made me laugh thinking about it).