View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who has a Vinturi aerator? Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
Personal taste is what really matters and even the experts, which I'm not have, a wide range of opinions on aeration and decanting. There are some people that prefer the pop and pour taste of wine where the young fruitiness is really noticeable, while others like it to smooth out. I have also read that when a wine is well aged, you don't want it to open up too much as it is ready to drink and can lose some of it's taste as it opens up. For me, I find that these aerators can help open up a younger inexpensive wine and make it more enjoyable when the wife asks me to open a bottle for dinner that is almost on the table.
There is no argument that aeration helps young red wines, at least I don't think anyone in the thread argues that. Its the tools used and if anyone is happy with Vinturi, then great, no issues. For those who do not have it and want to experiment with the process I simply recommended they do so with a cheap and similar tool, funnel. Actually, a better tool, IMO, since it allows for better aeration. If they like the result and want to buy Vinturi, then great. Simply pouring wine into a decanter/jar for 1-2 hour prior to consumption also works. Winners all around. Vinturi is not the only solution...

Older wines, aged ones where the process of aeration/oxidation has already taken place in the bottle with time, will quickly oxidize once exposed to air. Main reason it is not really recommended one decants an old wine, better technique is to leave it standing upright for 2-3 days prior to consumption to let the sediment settle on the bottom and then handle the bottle gently (as little shaking and movement as possible) when popping the cork and pouring.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote