View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Christmas Cheer 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak_rat View Post
You sadden me Moo........

I really like this stuff. Definately needs time to dry. I also find rubbing it out kinda mutes some of the flavor. Pack some of the flakes in the bowl and leave it for a week. Should be golden then.
Well, K'rat - I confessed my first couple of passes were with a new (Sasieni) briar that has only a few smokes on the odometer. It really did smoke the '08 flat and lifeless. Trooth be told, it has smoked the previous stuff flat and lifeless, too. But! Your recent favorable reports spurred me on!

Last night and again, this morning, I tried a couple of bowls in the Old Reliable (WDC) Little Ole Virginia Pipe. I smoked the '08 both rubbed out and packed/screwed in. In each case I put some well rubbed out kindling atop; each version burned well - no relights, a tamp or two, ash at the bottom. There was nothing to say it needed much drying out from the feel of the tobak, the easy light or the burn in the pipe.

It burned great in the WDC, no real gurgle but still a pipe cleaner or two. The flavor still didn't strike me as anything remotely interesting. I'll put it up for a few weeks and try again later. This sad report comes from someone who is heartsick he will one day run out of CC '05 and CC '06.

I say the jury is out but it isn't looking good.