View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #3246
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I picked up a Char Griller Akorn 2 weeks ago and I love this thing! Lowe's had them for $299 and with the cover, extra grate to holder the diffuser, and diffuser (a 14" glazed flowerpot water pan), I'm in it for $350 (12 month no interest). Always wanted a smoker/grill/kamado. It is metal with interior insulation and a porcelain glaze on the inside. I could never justify spending upwards of $1000 (or more) on a ceramic kamado, but I've always wanted one. This thing was cheap enough and built well enough for me to finally give the kamado world a try. It will hover at 225F or 250F and will jump up to damn hot very quickly. So far I've slow-cooker a 5 lb brisket and 3 full racks of baby back ribs. The brisket cooked at 230-240F for 4 hours and sat wrapped in foil, a towel, and in a cooler for 3 more hours. It was awesome! The ribs cooked at 350F for 1.5 hours, then I shut the vents and let it slowly cool to around 200F for another half hour or so. I skipped the sauce on the ribs, as the meat was rubbed prior to cooking and tasted great. Sorry no pictures this time, but I will get some next time. Butts are next. Costco has a two pack I'm eying.