View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Too many beans-Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
...Have you ever seen a coffee house, roaster or retailer keep thier beans in the fridge or freezer?

Moo might disagree with me...
I often disagree with myself - but I often road test conventional wisdom, too. So! Several years ago, after roasting, cooling, mason-jarring and freezing a couple varieties of beans, I came back to them 3-4 months later. (This after a member of alt.coffee performed and reported on the same activity.) The beans re-warmed to room temp (stopping off in the fridge for a couple of days) in the sealed jars and began outgassing CO2 right where they left off before hitting the ice. A few days later they ground and drank like fresh roast. So, that is that. One test by me duplicated the results of another.

I give this test a big "So what?" As you note above, professionals don't do it... and why should they bother? It's WAY safer to store green beans. I don't do it either. Did it once and never have had a reason to do it again. I guess I could roast a three-month supply of coffee and drink off of it for months but I like to change things around every week or two. No point to storing roasted coffee for me. Also, what if the freezer craps out?

But for someone who is swamped with months worth of beans in weird holiday circumstances? Fill glass jars to the top, seal tight with gasketed lids and freeze it. It'll probably drink the same come July. Hobbiests 2-cents.

Try it. Draw the third conclusion!