View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Connecticut Shade in Cubans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsqueeze View Post
As for the Cubans using CT tobacco, that's wholly untrue. Maybe many years ago I don't know, but post-revolution certainly not. Some people have accused the Cubans of using other foreign tobaccos over the years but my personal opinion based on conversations with Cubans in the trade and my own knowledge gained through first hand experience leads me to think it's highly unlikely.

Now there could be an interesting debate pertaining to the various seeds, hybrids and their origins in which CT enters the conversation.

Josh
Thank you, Josh! I was wondering about the article as my understanding of the TWEA and related laws (Helms-Burton, etc) is that providing product to Cuba, even through a third party, is illegal unless it meets a very narrow set of conditions (US is the 5th largest official trading partner with Cuba, but accounts for less that 7% of Cuba's imports, according to one source I found). I can't imagine that the cigar wrappers meet the narrow standard and it is almost like the article was begging for an OFAC investigation. But I hope not!