View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
shortsqueeze
Legitimately Sublime

First Name: Josh
Trading: (1)
shortsqueeze is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Connecticut Shade in Cubans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
I don't believe this is wholly true although it's my understanding that pre-embargo, clear Havana cigars were rolled in the US sometimes using Connecticut Shade with binder & filler imported from Cuba.

I know there are a couple guys who are not overly active on this site, but are extremely knowledgeable about this topic. I'll shoot off a couple messages and see if I can cajole a response.
Vin,

You are 100% correct. I am not 100% sure if there is one definition for Clear Havana, ie. Cuban filler and binder with CT shade or broadleaf wrapper, or if it's 100% Cuban tobacco rolled in the US. Likely both are viable interpretations but one thing is for sure, to be called a Clear Havana it had to be rolled in the US.

As for the Cubans using CT tobacco, that's wholly untrue. Maybe many years ago I don't know, but post-revolution certainly not. Some people have accused the Cubans of using other foreign tobaccos over the years but my personal opinion based on conversations with Cubans in the trade and my own knowledge gained through first hand experience leads me to think it's highly unlikely.

Now there could be an interesting debate pertaining to the various seeds, hybrids and their origins in which CT enters the conversation.

Josh
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote