Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CAMPING GEAR Recommendations

I can't be of too much help but I'll give some suggestions on some of my favorite gear.

Tent - Marmot Equinox. Not sure if they still make the same model, but I've had 2 over the last 10 years and they have been great tents. They have definitely taken some abuse and kept me dry.

Sleeping bag - I bought a cheap Slumberjack 45 deg down bag several years ago and it has been great. Not very expensive, but definitely does the trick. Works well for warm weather camping since it is so light and I've been in it down to 15 degrees and was still toasty. I used a fleece liner on the 15 degree nights, but I slept in my skivvies and was toasty warm. Not bad for a $50 45 deg bag.

Sleeping pads - Thermarest and that is all. A must have imo.

Boots and shoes - My favorites are Vasque for trail running and also for medium duty hikers. My all time favorite light/medium hikers are Nike ACG Tallac, but they are no longer made. When they quit making them years ago I bought about a half dozen pairs and still snatch some when they come up on Ebay. Love those boots.

Those are about all the suggestions I have. I usually camp out of a canoe or car. Haven't been backpacking too much.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote