Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dry aging beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

I would keep the handling of the meat down to a minimum if possible.

It would have been slick to have placed a mechanical scale under the tub that holds the meat, tared it for the tub, pan, rack, etc - then placed the meat in the tub and just let it age that way in the refrigerator. No handling necessary to see what the water loss is, just open the door and read the scale.
I do try to keep the handling down to minimum, and if I do I always wear gloves.
I learned about the bacteria on your hands being transfered to meat the hard way when I was trying to make my own Corned Beef.
Took me 3 times before I realized what the problem was.

As for the scale I think it's a great Idea. Live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Wow, 2 lb loss in a week, that is incredible. You should cut a steak and see how it is so far. Put a piece of plastic wrap on the cut end. You'll be amazed how fresh the cut side will stay with a pefect sealed edge!
This may be something I attempt in the future, but for now I am content to let the whole piece age as one.
As for the weight loss, I am not that concerned because I am sure I dumped at least a pound of juice down the drain when I initially opened the bag, at least thats what i'm hoping.
Moses when cutting a steak off and using plastic wrap, how often do you change the piece of plastic? Daily or whenever you make a cut?