View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #271
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I've used a Stoker for several years now and love it. It really does make cooking, especially overnighters, so much less stressful.

BTW... here is my take on cooking with a water pan. It is really only a heat sink that is only getting to 212 degrees. You are using a lot of your cooking energy to try and bring it higher than that as the surrounding air temp is higher.

If you want to try an experiment... do a cook with a water pan and measure the amount of fuel (charcoal or wood) that you use. The do another cook, preferably with about the same temp and humidity conditions, but this time fill the pan with sand. I think you will find you use MUCH less fuel. Also, IMO, the environment is plenty moist just from the moisture released from the meat. You shouldn't need to add any more.