View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Villazon no more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauer View Post
I remember the El Rey del Mundo
Flor de Llaneza (Pyramid) boxes of 35.....
I had 2 that had so much bloom....it tasted like a chocolate bar on fire...awesome
I've often thought about getting another 35 count box and burying it in the cooler for a year....
Have had a few of those, but they were a bit more expensive per stick than the Robustos... and you have to love the tissue wrapped presentation. They are good though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Aside from the maduro Connies and ERDMs mentioned, the JR Ultimates also still have that sweet and earthy Villazon profile I enjoy. In fact, I am enjoying a Habanito as I type. It's a bargain short smoke perfect for this time of year, though I keep them in rotation all 12 months.

I haven't had an Ultimate in quite a while, used to smoke quite a few Prinicipales - great smokes. I even enjoyed a few in the candela wrapper. I suppose the Habanitos are fairly inexpensive, but they are not a very long smoke.

Otherwise, I can't think of others which retain that flavor. But I am open to suggestion.

Like I said somewhere else once, the ERdM Robusto is one of the few which new sticks seem to taste just like the ones I smoked in the '80s.

Here's a question for thought. Had Lew Rothman remained actively involved in the business, would Villazon still be in operation today? I think that with his long history and relationship there, there is a chance.
You might be right, but JR Cigars still has a great relationship with those brands formerly owned and made there. In fact, I think Lew pulled out after Llaneza sold out back in the late 1990s.