Thread: Sous vide
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #608
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Sous vide

Question for you gurus, a few of us are helping some friends move all day Saturday so I was trying to think of something easy we can all have for dinner at their new place without too much work/mess, so I'm gravitating towards pre-cooking a tri-tip and finishing it in their oven when we're ready to eat. I've pre-SV'd entrees before and finished on a grill/oven out of the fridge, but it's always been with thinner proteins (pulled carnitas, chicken strips)

If I did this with a thicker steak do I need to take anything into consideration in terms of making sure the inside is hot enough without overcooking the outsides? Or would 5-7 minutes in a broiler bring the whole thing from cold to hot? I was thinking maybe something like putting it in the oven at 200* for 15-20 minutes then cranking up the broiler and proceeding the same way I normally do when it comes straight out of the bath, or even cooking it at a lower temp in the SV so any oven overcooking will bring it up to the level of doneness preferred, but I don't know the best method. If I was making it at home I could put it in a bath at the same exact temp just before broiling, but I don't want to lug the equipment around when the place is already gonna be a mess. Any thoughts from anybody who has tried this?