View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any computer help would be appreciated...

The first thing I would do is use another computer to create a bootable anti-virus disc/USB drive. Clean both computers out now while you have a chance and you're working with things.

For the laptop, after you run a full scan on boot, try to boot to safe mode. If you cannot get into safe mode, then the next thing I would do is lay hands on a Vista disc and boot to the recovery options and repair your install, which should handle common problems. If that doesn't work, if there are no files you want to keep, I would do what kingcobradude recommended and do a fresh install. There's little point in wasting numerous hours troubleshooting a Windows install when a fresh install will only take 3 hours including updates. If there are files you want to keep, then you, or someone who is knowledgeable, needs to remove the hard and connect it to another computer to back up the files before proceeding with a fresh install.

For the desktop, all BSOD's list what is known as an error code, which is a hexadecimal string that usually looks like 0x00000000. That error code might be more descriptive of the problem. Which memory diagnostic tool did you run on the computer? The accepted standard of most system builders and technicians is Memtest86, which is available as a free download and can be burned to a bootable CD. I would take a minute and open the case, vacuum out all the DUST (dust kills!) and carefully re-seat the memory sticks after blowing them clean with compressed air. Memory gets extremely HOT, just like processors, and if there isn't sufficient airflow around the sticks, that can cause overheating which would cause erratic failures like a complete shutdown or a BSOD. The less favorable options would be that you possibly have a major failing component or a failing power supply. Those can be diagnosed later in other ways.

Let me know if you try any of this what the results are.